The metaverse is a hot topic in the tech world, and it's also having a major impact on the gaming industry. In this article, we'll take a look at how the metaverse is changing gaming, and what the future holds for this exciting new technology.
The metaverse is a virtual world that is made up of interconnected 3D spaces. It's still in its early stages of development, but it has the potential to revolutionize the way we interact with the internet and world itself. The dream to be transported to distant worlds and experience all of your senses without leaving your home is an intoxicating thought.
Source: Ready Player One
The metaverse is already having a major impact on gaming. For example, games like Roblox and Fortnite are already incorporating elements of the metaverse, such as the ability to create and share 3D content. If we step back though we can see many different forms of the met averse through the years and some that still exist to this day.
A good example of and OG metaverse is that of Second Life:
Source: Second Life
In the future, the metaverse is likely to have an even greater impact on gaming. We can expect to see more games that are designed specifically for the metaverse, as well as more ways to interact with games in a more immersive and social way.
The metaverse offers a number of benefits for gamers, including:
- Immersive experiences: The metaverse can provide gamers with more immersive experiences than traditional games. This is because the metaverse is a virtual world that can be experienced through VR headsets, AR glasses, and other devices.
- Social interaction: The metaverse can also provide gamers with more social interaction than traditional games. This is because the metaverse is a shared space where gamers can interact with each other in real time.
- New possibilities: The metaverse also opens up new possibilities for gaming. For example, gamers can use the metaverse to create their own games, or to participate in games that are created by other users.
The future of the metaverse in gaming is still uncertain, but there is a lot of potential for this technology to revolutionize the way we play games. In the future, we can expect to see more games that are designed specifically for the metaverse, as well as more ways to interact with brands in a more immersive and social way. Take for instance the partnership between Snoop Dogg and the Sandbox, or the recently introduced "Portals" into the Roblox platform.
Source: The Sandbox
The metaverse is still in its early stages of development, but it has the potential to change gaming forever. As platforms branch out to all devices like Sceneri provides, we will begin to see the true convergence between gaming and reality!
- Meta's Financial Woes: The big bet by Zuck and Co. seems to have missed its mark and caused the company to head in the wrong direction. Can they turn it around and strengthen the diversity like the Oculus acquisition?
- Apple Vision: A little too early for mass market appeal at a $3400 price tag pushed away hopes of most consumers. We all want it but we don't want it at that price and we just want sunglasses!
- Dead Internet Theory: The prevalence of bots and generative AI truly begins to hoist up this theory that most of the media you ingest is created procedurally. How does that look when you begin to have full 3D avatars as your friends?
The metaverse is still a new technology, but it has the potential to change gaming in a number of ways. It will be interesting to see how the metaverse evolves in the years to come, and how it impacts the gaming industry.
What do you think about the Metaverse? Join the discussion in our official Discord and connect with a community of gamers, creators and the Sceneri team!